Welcome!/Tere Tulemast!

In this blog, I mostly write in English, although when I write about things that may also be important for my grandparents, then I also translate my posts into Estonian.

Käesolev blogi on enamjaolt kirjutatud inglise keeles, kuid kirjutised, mis on mõeldud ka vanavanematele lugemiseks, on tõlgitud ka eesti keelde.

Quotes to live by

"Dream, risk, have fun and never regret!"

"The World is a sick place, a sick place indeed and it's getting worse not better! We, only we have the power to change it and if we have the power, then why not to use it?" - Peter Cox

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Monday, May 21, 2012

week #4 - M.U.N. and new friends all over the place

Good evening to everybody, even though it is as light outside, as it usually is in the middle of a sunny day, which means, the summer has finally arrived! / Tere õhtust kõigile, kuigi õues on siiani veel täitsa valge, millest saab järeldada, et lõpuks on kätte jõudnud suvi!

Here goes the forth week of my life, since I made a restart with my blog - although sorry for not writing the blog yesterday, because I just did not have any way of doing it. / Neljas nädal blogimist, pärast blogi uueissti käima lükkamist. Seekordne postitus jäi teatud põhjustel ühe päeva hiljaks, kuid ilmselt see ei saa harjumuseks.

This week has been a bit different from the usual, since I have not only gone to school, but also elsewhere. / See nädal on olnud veidikene teistsugusem, kuna ei ole käinud ainult koolis, vaid olen teinud ka teisi asju.


Enjoy and comment! / Nautige ja kommenteerige!


Films and TV-shows

This week I did not have much time to watch any films or series, but I still managed to watch a film called "This Means War", which talks about two friends and co-agents in CIA, who start to date, while also knowing that they are both dating the same girl. It was a really enjoyable film, full of flirt, love, action and fun, therefor I do recommend watching it, when you do want to relax and have a bit of fun. Yes, it maybe did not teach too many things, but every person needs to chill every once and a while and this movie is a good way of doing it. I am also going to add the trailer of the film and this basically all about it.


Europe House and model United Nations

From Friday to Monday I was participating in an event called Europe House, which is basically a model European parliament with a fancier name. First I was supposed to be in Justice and Home Affairs Council, talking about schengen expansion towards the Balkan region. Case: Croatia's accession to EU and border management with the neighbouring countries. But since I really did not want to be in that council, I was able to change to model United Nations, where we pretended to be the security council, discussing the potential UN Membership for Disputed Territories: Kosovo, South Ossetia, and Abkhazia. There I was in the role of South Africa by choice, only to discover later on that it was not the best choice, since South Africa mostly did not care about the situation that we were handling - it is certain that they are not supporting South Ossetia nor Abkhazia and that they are not certain about the situation concerning Kosovo and again, really not caring about the issues going on there, as long as it does not have any harm to their economy.

On a merrier note, it was fun to see that in the model UN, I was not the only debater, as we also had Sten Andreas, Viktor, Eliise and Heiki from Estonian Debate Association, which mostly meant that they out-spoke everybody else. On the first day, we did not do anything too practical, especially as I already know the procedures of such events, due to going to many different, but similar events before, for example EYP - Europe Youth Parliament. On the second day, we were discussing the problem in our hands and by the end we had a resolution, that stated, what different countries should do in the future to maybe be considered by UNSC to maybe be allowed to join UN. On the third day, we had another problem in our hands, since we did not allow non of the countries to join UN, therefor we had to stop Russia from trying to annex South Ossetia and Abkhazia, while someone made a cyber attack towards Estonia. The forth day was mostly just about getting to know about the resolutions other people made and voting, whether we let them pass or not.

I did like the event in general, even though it had some minor problems it, since we learned a lot and made different new connections, for example with Italians. So if you have an chance to participate in similar events, then do it and you will not regret it!

On other notes

In school, at least the first part of the week was quite fast-paced and maybe even hard, as on Tuesday we had to run ~4km on time (this was the easiest thing to do), write a test on Wednesday and an essay on Thursday in History and also an review of one concert, that I went to see on Wednesday and on the film "My Fair Lady" by Friday.

Since I was participating in Europe House, we had no debating again this Friday, but I did have debating in my school on Wednesday, where we just practiced speeches and how to deliver them.

On Wednesday I also visited a classical concert, where duo from Germany played Bach, Beethoven and Brahms on piano and cello - that was really enjoyable.

On Sunday, I also met Ben from Scotland in Tallinn, where I showed him and his friend Zimba from France around the old town and we also had a little supper at Vapiano - we also discussed the summer plans, as I would like to meet up with Ben this summer, while I am in UK.

Also my computer broke down, although it will be fixed by tomorrow, but I am still thinking on buying a new one - so far I have my eyes on either Apple Mac Book Air or Asus Ultrabook or Asus Transformer pad, we'll see what happens.

The following Sunday is also the time, when Tony from Taiwan arrives to Estonia for a month to stay with us.

Eesti keelne kokkuvõte

* Sel nädalal vaatasin filmi See tähendab sõda (This Means War), mis on küllaltki hea vaheldus tavalistele ja sügavamõttelistele filmidele, segades endas armastuse ja võitluse - soovitan kindlasti vaadata, kui on mõni hetk vaja natukene argielust puhata.

* Reedest Esmaspäevani osalesin Tallinnas toimuval üritusel "Euroopa Maja", kus olin mudel ÜRO julgeolekunõukogus esindamas Lõuna Aafrikat, küsimustes nagu, kas võtta Abkhazia, Lõuna Osseetia ja Kossovo ÜROsse või mitte ja lahendamas olukorda, kus keegi tegi küberrünnaku Eesti vastu - see oli lahe üritus ja soovitan soojalt edaspidi kõigil võimaluse korral ka osa võtta.

*  Koolis oli sel nädalal üsna pingeline aeg, sest pidime kirjutama ajaloost kontrolltöö ja arutluse ning lisaks oli vaja kirjutada kirjanduses ja muusikas retsensioon ja matemaatikas kontrolltöö jne, kuid sain kõigega vabat hakkama.

* See nädal ei toimunud taaskord Kuninga väitlusklubi, seekord siis Euroopa maja tõttu, kuid kolmapäeval Siimuga tegime siiski väitlust, täpsemalt kõneharjutusi.

* Kolmapäeval käisin ka Saksa Kevade lõpu kontserdil kuulamas Bachi, Beethovenit ja Brahmsi.

* Pühapäeval saime Tallinnas kokku ka Beniga Šotimaalt ning kohtasin ka tema sõpra Zimbat Prantusmaalt - näitasin neile veidi vanalinna ning lõpuks, kui aega oli veel vähe alles, siis sõime Vapianos õhtust, enne kui nad lennujaama läksid. Tegime ka plaane suveks, kus kohtume ilmselt Inglismaal.

* Pühapäeval läks katki ka minu läpakas, mille viisin täna parandusse ja vist siiski saab see korda, kuid sellegi poolest mõtlen, kas oleks võimalik kuidagi osta endale kas Apple MacBook Air või Asus Ultrabook või Asus Transformer pad.

* Sel pühapäeval kolib minu juurde kuuks ajaks Tony Taiwanist - kes tahavad, võivad 10.40 Tallinna lennujaama vastu tulla pühapäeva hommikul.

---

And that's all! / Ja see on kõik!

Best regards! / Parimate soovidega!

Sander Gansen

No comments:

Post a Comment